Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Addiction

I was reading J's blog,
And she was talking about addiction,
To laxatives.

I, myself have dealt with this addiction,
For almost 2 whole years.

Over the course of the last year,
I am really seeing the repercussions,
Of the laxatives on my body.

If some of you remember,
We had a cancer scare,
Last summer.

I now solely depend on them,
To be able to go to the bathroom.

I'm taking anywhere between,
10-15 stimulant laxies a day.

I'm on two different meds,
For my abdominal pain a day.

With it being eating disorder awareness week,
I've been reading a lot of stats,
On eating disorders.

I've read that addiction to;
Drugs and alcohol coincide,
With having an eating disorder.

I am very lucky,
That I don't deal with,
Those kind of addictions.

I know that a lot of you ladies,
Have or had issues with other addictions.
And for that you have my prayers.

I've been told that,
The laxatives,
Will have lifelong effects on my body.

I wish my ex best friend,
Would have never introduced them to me.
But I can't blame her, it's my fault really.

What other addictions do you have?
Have you dealt with addiction in your past?
I'd love to hear your stories.

Lots of love,
XOXO Katie 


4 comments:

  1. In my early twenties I abused laxatives. Now, in my late thirties, I have to overdose by 400% to have a BM once a week. A whole day spent in pain and in the bathroom. Had I known this fifteen years ago... :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any stories like that but I wish I could understand and say it's all going to be okay.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I abused laxatives several years ago, for about 18 months. Thankfully I came out of it with no permanent damage, and I've been able to keep off them for the most part. Having to have enemas and take prescribed laxatives in hospital to get my digestion back on track was one of the most painful things I've experienced, I never want to go through it again. I can usually regulate them to only take them when I actually need them, though there's always the risk of slipping back into abusing them. Ever since I've taken a lot of fiber supplements which help, but are no where near as bad as laxatives.

    As for other addictions, I currently have two active substance addictions, I guess. Cigarettes, of course, which just keeps getting worse as time goes by, but I just don't care about my health enough to do anything about it despite my COPD. The same goes for weed. I've smoked daily for four years now, and apart from a few weeks here and there, I've smoked from morning til night. I've never seen myself as a 'stoner' like my old friends were, I've always been a little different, an addict. I can't get through the day without it. It's not something I'm proud of, but it's true. Every few months, I fall into the trap of legal 'synthetic weed' (Kronic, etc.), even though it's nearly killed me several times and is horrifically addictive, it's something I have a lot of trouble staying away from, but that's a whole 'nother barrel of fish.

    Take care dear. Sending love and hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you the best, as I understand. I rely on laxies to have normal digestive movements too. Self harm is an addiction for me. I haven't had too many experiences with drugs, but they're a small addiction that will definitely develop, and alcohol would probably be last - I'm not much of a drinker. It's difficult, but that's why we have to stick together. Help each other out. Xx

    ReplyDelete