Wednesday, January 9, 2013

So much on my mind

So I'm thinking about going back to treatment. It's not that I'm really engaging in the serious eating disorder behaviors like purging or using the laxies, but there are still behaviors I'm using. Like yesterday, I didn't drink all my coffee in the morning because I knew I was being weighed. I made sure I wore leggings instead of jeans because I knew I was being weighed. And when I was weighed and saw that I went up a half pound, I convinced myself it was water weight because I spent two days drinking nothing but water around the clock. I told T last night that of course there is a part of me that likes having my eating disorder. I love the fact that I'm usually the skinniest girl in the room. I love feeling strong when I can go without eating. What I don't love is the fact that I'm comparing myself to all the girls in the room. Or I hate the fact that if I do eat, then I feel weak and feel the need to purge my food. So which part is stronger when it comes to my eating disorder?
After another discussion with T last night, I think my best option would to be go back to treatment, but this time, I need to stay longer and give it my all. Give it 100%.  My problem is that the facility I want to go to will in no way be covered by my medicaid, and I sure as hell don't have the money to send myself there. I loved the girl I was when I left treatment. But I feel like Anorexia tricked me. Ana had me thinking she was gone. That I had got rid of her and I have found other coping mechanisms to deal with stress. But all that stuff I learned in treatment, didn't give me a way to cope with all the added stress of my family and kids.
One of the biggest things they talk about in DBT and talked about in treatment was mindfulness. And in treatment, it worked great. But I can't do that here. I can't have a quiet moment before I eat to remind myself of what good that food is going to do for my body. I can't have a moment to even think about what I'm eating before I eat it. I've got T talking to me, my oldest talking constantly, and my youngest always whining in my ear. Every meal is so hectic. It was easy to be mindful in treatment because I was surrounded by other girls who were doing the same thing I was. I woke up an hour and 20 minutes early this morning just so I could eat breakfast quietly before everyone got up. But there's no way I can do that every morning because it's only 9am and I'm so tired. I actually followed my meal plan for breakfast this morning. I had a bowl of cereal, a lite yogurt, and a banana. I was pretty proud of myself. Then I went and laid back down for another 30 minutes to fall asleep and get my mind off of the food. That's the only way I have found that completely works is going to sleep after I eat, so I don't have to think about it.
So I got started on Effexor last night. I think I recall one of you ladies saying you take it. I just want to know if anyone has taken it, what kind of effects did it have on you? I'm convinced that's the reason I woke up for a hour and a half in the middle of the night last night, despite my Ambien. It's all so much medication. But they are trying to find the right meds for me I guess.
So another thing I struggled with last night is that according to the doctors, I am not "clinically sick." All my blood work comes back normal. My vitamin D level was normal. My blood pressure is a bit low and so is my heart rate, but other than that, my only medical issue is that I'm underweight. If everything is coming back normal, then how can I be sick? Then I just make myself feel like I'm a crazy person. I understand that an eating disorder is a mental illness, but am I really that insane? That's how I feel anyway. I guess I've just got a lot of shit on my mind. Sorry for such a long post.
XOXO Katie

10 comments:

  1. If going back into treatment is what you want, you should try for it. I know costs is such a damper and your ed will use that against you until eventually you psych yourself out of the treatment option. Basically do it before it's to late...if only it was that easy.
    The morning time you set aside sounds brilliant! Well done, I'm sorry the rest of the meals can't be like that but at least it's a start. Even if you manage the food by sleeping that's still good, maybe with time you won't have to cope that way?
    You are doing great love. With or without treatment I believe you can overcome this. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly honey I don't think any more time in treatment is going to help. You have all the tools you just have to figure out how to make them work at home with your life. By being gone again it will drive more space between you, t & the kids. I just don't see this as ending well if you choose this route but I love you & will continue to support & pray for you xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope you can find new coping mechanisms on how to deal with all of this. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate at the moment & could definitely do with some extra support.
    Stay strong <3
    xxBella

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a great idea Katie to go back to treatment
    The more times we try, the bigger the chance we have to recover
    Put yourself first for a while
    I'm also thinking of going back in and am working up to making the phonecall
    The last time it took me a year
    Please don't wait that long

    I did take Effexor for a while and found it quite good for anxiety
    Give it a chance and see how you get on

    We are all rooting for you Katie
    We are cheering you on
    And don't let those results fool you in to thinking that you're not sick
    They could change at any time

    Take care of you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've taken Effexor and the only side effect for me was very vivid dreams. Not every night and it didn't disrupt my life but I'm sure it was from the effexor. Also, if I forgot to take a pill or took it late I got a vertigo effect. Often that was what would remind me that I forgot to take it. I stopped taking it cold turkey when I had no ins and had dizziness and vertigo like symptoms for about two weeks; so you definitely need to probably wean off of it if you ever decide to stop taking it.
    Just remember if your body is medically healthy even after what you put it through that's awesome. And like you said even if your body is not "sick" your mind is and you still are worthy of help. I hope you can get to treatment. I think it would be perfect since you did it once and now you see what it's like after and those things that are making recovery difficult can be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so strong sweetheart <3 I fully support you going in to treatment. I wish I could be there supporting you in person, instead of having to do so from so far away :( you are a very sweet human being and I enjoy talking to you so much.
    Speaking of which, Im very sorry I havent been able to connect to whatsapp lately, but my phone is refusing to latch on to my wifi here... piece of crap phone >_>
    Stay strong my lovely girl
    Big hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that going into treatment is an incredibly hard decision which apparently, us types, sway back and forth from. I think that while you think it is a good idea, you should absolutely go for it, before you change your mind. I think it may be particularly good for you, because you know what you're getting yourself into and you want to do it anyway. I'm so very proud of you for considering this. I think it really can help you. You're so strong Katie. SO strong, even if you don't know it yet. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're not insane. As I struggle with my own eating disorder, I'm learning that it takes time to deal with it appropriately. Healing doesn't come over night, regardless of what anyone may say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's a really good step that you at least want to get better. Even if you're conflicted, I think knowing that this is a problem is a good sign. And congratulations on sticking to your meal plan this morning! Try not to beat yourself up over small mistakes, and feel good about all the little things you do right. I know, easier said than done. Also, thanks so much for all of your encouragement on my posts. You really have been sort of an angel to me lately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should go for it whilst you still want to or you may decide you don't want the help later on. I know it's an issue of the costs though so I hope you find help with it xx

    ReplyDelete