Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Reflection and forgiveness

So, I spent the last hour reading through my past posts. First off, WOW!
There is so much I want to say, but not sure how I'm going to say it, so please bare with me while I try to get it all out.
Let's start with reflection. There is so much that I have put out there on my blog. Posts about depression, being vulnerable. Posts about wanting to lose even more weight, even when I was entering treatment last year. Posts filled with excuses on why I should keep Ana around. Posts about how I was going to recover and get rid of Ana once and for all.
The amount of support I have received from you ladies on all these different posts have been astounding. The good, the bad, and the ugly; you have stuck by my side. Thank you for that.
I'm feeling so many different emotions right now. Regret probably being the biggest one. I feel regret for so many things. Especially when it comes to my ED and how it's affected everyone in my life.
One of the posts I read was my new years resolutions for this year. How I wanted to stay between 96 and 98lbs, but then I say in that same post that I want to have control over my ED. A little redundant when I look back on it now.
I have made myself pretty vulnerable with this blog. It's given me an opportunity to be honest with myself. I like being able to read back and realize how sick I was. Not for inspiration to get there again, but inspiration to do better, by my kids, T, and most importantly, myself.
I am not proud of the person that I became because of Ana. I am not proud of the decisions I have made over the past few years. I am disappointed in the shit I have put T through.
Which leads me to forgiveness. I did a post back in January about forgiveness. About how I wanted to forgive certain people, even if they didn't deserve it. But what about ourselves?
Those of us with addictions, ED's, anxiety and depression; we are so hard on ourselves. I think one of the first steps in recovery from anything, is learning to forgive ourselves. To be gentle with ourselves. Because we didn't chose to live like this. We didn't wake up one morning and say, "hey, let's fuck up our lives as much as humanly possible."
Living with an addiction, no matter which one is our poison, is hard on everyone around us, but especially ourselves. Not only physically, but mentally especially. I know with my ED, I beat myself up for everything.
We need to learn to forgive ourselves. We need to accept that addiction is ugly. That we fuck up, and that is okay, because we are only human. I believe if we can learn to forgive ourselves, then maybe we finally start recovering from our addictions?
No one is perfect, so why must we hold ourselves to that standard? Why must we be so hard on ourselves when the rest of the world does that for us? If we are not standing up for ourselves, then how do we expect anyone else to?
I'm sorry for all the randomness, but I feel like I needed to get some shit off my chest. I still don't feel like I got it all out, but it's a start.
So I'll leave you with this; be gentle with yourself. Forgive yourself because that's where it'll start.
Lots of love,
XOXO Katie

6 comments:

  1. Great post. Very inspirational and very true!
    I haven't been following you very long, but it seems as though you're doing well and I am very happy for that, for yourself, and for your family.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written Katie
    That's the amazing thing about our blogs
    We have a detailed account of life with our EDs
    I recently backed up mine
    As it documents the past two and a half years of my life

    You have come on so much Katie
    You should be so proud
    I know I am proud of you
    So very proud

    Take care girl x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very touching and I am so proud of you for fighting. You deserve so much more, and it makes me happy to see that maybe you're beginning to see it too. Love you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hay :) Thanks for the lovely comments you left on my posts. I'm looking forward to read more from you and follow your journey.

    Congrats on the 27th week :) I don't know what I am having this time (ultrasound is planned for next week) - but it sort of feels like a little girl this time around :)

    Take good care of you hon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Katie, I feel like the one single most important lesson I've ever learned in my life is that regret is just the most pointless sentiment. You live your life and your decisions, good or bad have made you into the person you are - the mom, the partner, the person. You have control over so many things and your decisions about your life moving forward are one of those things. I truly believe that the biggest favour you can do yourself is letting go of your past and moving forward with today, here and now. I know that sounds so cheesy motivaitonal speaker pep-talk bullshit - but once you understand how to live that truth, you'll feel free and proud, and independent of the haters - most importantly you stop being a hater yourself.

    ANYWAY, love you to death. You're an amazing, sweet and supportive person - I know those in your life feel the same way we all do! Hopefully, you can see that too! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is beautiful. Thank you so much for writing it.
    <3 Lee

    ReplyDelete