Thursday, August 22, 2013

Purging Disorder?

I am going into my 13th year of my eating disorder. All these years I have considered myself both Anorexic and Bulimic. I restrict, but when I do eat, I purge or use laxatives. I'm considered underweight with a current BMI of 17 and Body Fat % of 20. I lost my cycle due to my low body weight. But with the new DSM 5 released this past May, I fall into the category of EDNOS.
I don't know why for sure, but this label bothers me. In my experiences with treatment facilities, therapists, support groups and research, I feel like EDNOS is not taken seriously enough. That's why when people ask me what type of eating disorder I have, I always say "Anorexia and Bulimia."
But there is a name for the type of disordered eating I have. It's called Purging Disorder. The main significant difference between Purging Disorder(PD) and Bulimia is the binge/purge part. When someone with PD eats a small amount of food, or what would appear to be a normal amount to others, that individual gets fuller faster, caused by the chemical, Cholecystokinin. Someone with Bulimia has a significant lower amount of the chemical, allowing them to overeat.
People with Bulimia or PD, then share the same emotional thinking, which then leads them to purge in one form or another. Both of these diseases share similar health risks and both can obviously lead to death. While doing my research in the last couple of days on PD, I have found myself to fall perfectly into this category. I'm not sure if this is a relief or just another long battle of frustration and confusion for me.
Either way, it doesn't make living with it any easier. I'm on information overload at the moment and my mind is preoccupied with external forces, but one thing is for sure and that is, whatever label I fall under, my eating disorder is on a full blown rampage. Tearing through my mind destroying any attempt of a barrier I've put up, and crushing all hopes of recovery. I read somewhere today that recovery is a revolving door. I couldn't say it better. One day I wake up, ready to take on the world, only to be shoved back into the welcoming arms of my eating disorder.
I've gotten better at keeping it to myself lately. When I'm having a fat day, or I'm running to the bathroom after a meal, I do my best not to let anyone know. I have mastered the fake smile, the award-winning attitude and the well put together mother and house wife. I prefer to keep my problems out of the way of my relationships.
I know that I really should be seeking a therapist to talk to, reaching out to my doctor with all the health problems I've been having lately, and re-creating a meal plan with my dietitian. But truth is, I don't have time for all of that. My main focus is my kids and their needs. They are my number one priority. I can live with my "around-the-clock" migraine, and the sleepless nights, as long as my family is happy. I will find a way to deal.
XOXO Katie

2 comments:

  1. Oh Katie, I can relate to this so much
    I've always considered myself, like you, be anorexic and bulimic
    But I seem to fit perfectly in to the diagnosis of purging disorder also
    I purge but I don't eat binge
    I eat regular amounts of food and purge
    I couldn't eat any more than that at one time because I get full too easily
    It's confusing to say the least
    It was easier when I was strictly anorexic

    I agree that EDNOS is considered a second class eating disorder but it is just as dangerous if not more dangerous than anorexia or bulimia

    A revolving door is an excellent description
    Things can change so fast

    Hang in there Katie
    Remember in order to take care of your family, you have to take care of yourself first
    That might sound selfish but you can't give them your best if you are ill
    I don't mean to sound harsh but I think sometimes we need to hear the truth without sugar coating it
    I do anyway

    Take care of you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't put on a fake smile. That doesn't help anyone. And I want to see you get the support you deserve, rather than suffering in silence.
    I'd never heard of purging disorder before now. There seem to be so many names for EDs now it's hard to keep track of them all.

    ReplyDelete